Beanies' progress...

 BabyFruit Ticker

Sunday 29 January 2012

GUM....not the Wrigleys kind....


"Well, you can't say I never give you anything"



Having made the decision to TTC, OH and I thought it would be a good idea to get tested for any STDs. A woman in my babycentre group recommended it too.

I've never done this before. Quite embarrassing really given I'm 35.


Incase you think you don't need to...
STIs and simple infections are common reasons for infertility. Chlamydia can cause infertility and has no symptoms. It would be heart breaking to know your TTC journey could have been quicker, had you got tested.
It's quick and easy.


So off I trotted to my local GUM.

It was very discreet in our new local hospital. It's named after a person 'e.g. the fred blog clinic', so not embarrassing if you need to ask for directions in the hospital.
Arriving at reception i was asked if i'd been here before.
"No!" very defensively...silly me.
The receptionist was very warm and soothing in her tone - probably figured I was nervous. Although the beads of sweat probably gave it away!
I was asked to take a seat, given a form and a clipboard to put my name, address, GP details (if I wanted to) and mobile number and which tests I want done. I ticked the 'all the above' box.

The waiting area was blocked off cleverly and men and women were in different areas.

Form filled in, you're given a small card with clinic contact details and your unique ID number. You use this to obtain your results and thank goodness the staff call you by the number - not your name.

Next step - I was called in to speak with a doctor. Nice woman who asked why I wanted to be tested. I simply said I'd never done this before, it was about time and I'm planning on having children. A few questions about my lifestyle, e.g. ever taken drugs, has my partner slept with a man ('er, if he has he's kept that quiet!), then she gave me a small sample pot to have a wee in and wait in reception.

Now here's the funny bit. In the toilet there's a small hatch to drop your sample in! You don't need to hand it to anyone, brilliant!


Next step was to wait to be called for blood test.
Again this was quick and easy, i was in and out within two minutes. Blood test took seconds.

Then I was told to wait 10 working days.
If they find an infection I'll get a phone call.
If not, I won't hear anything, but can call if I want to.

I rang after 10 days - and was given my results. All clear! Hurrah!


Get yourself checked out. If you've ever had unprotected sex, be it a crazy random one night stand or only in a loving relationship...it's worth the piece of mind.


And it's easy and free! (you're making your own jokes up here aren't you!)



NHS info on Visiting a GUM clinic


No comments:

Post a Comment